Book Review: Switchgear and Protection by J. B. Gupta
This post is to serve as a review for the book titled “SWITCHGEAR AND PROTECTION” by J.B.Gupta.
The language used in the book is pretty simple to understand and all concepts have been explained from the very basics. Apart from helping in theoretical concepts, I believe it is an excellent book for understanding practical ways in which protection is provided in electrical equipments.
About the author :
JB GUPTA is a very renowned name when it comes to books on electrical engineering.
This Indian author has also written books like
Theory & Performance Of Electrical Machines.
A Course in Power System and Design.
Power System Analysis and Design.
which are used as standard textbooks by not just undergraduate students but also at postgraduate level.
The book covers following topics:
- Relays( protective and static), Fuses, Circuit breakers
- Protection of AC generator, motor, transformer
- Bus Bar protection, Feeders, and Transmission line protection
- Protection from lightning
- Insulation coordination
- Power System earthing
- Voltage control
- Power flow studies
Solved examples and exercises at the end of the book keep our minds and interest active throughout the reading, short theoretical question answer at end of chapter make us revise the whole chapter.
Print Quality: The printing quality is normal and the font size small, it also contains a lot of diagrams, a lot of content is covered in this book with 700 pages.
Examples: The solved examples given in the book at various points are good enough to cater to the needs of university students as well as students preparing for competitive exams such as GATE, ESE. There are a sufficient number of examples that can provide you with conceptual clarity.
- A detailed explanation of working of switchgear equipments.
- Ratings of various equipments.
- Theory backed up with many solved- unsolved numerical and solved brief answers.
- Detailed protection schemes of major electrical equipments.
- Introduction to static relays.
- Excellent from point of view of interview preparation.
- Numerical would help in both university exams and GATE.
- You need to be careful in what to study if there is a scarcity of time.
- Since electrical engineering syllabus is too vast already, try to go deep in concepts after you have touched all subjects from GATE point of view.
UNIQUE FEATURES :
*Complete explanation of Substation Engineering.( Very useful for those who have done/yet to do training from substation in their B.TECH).
*A chapter on STATIC RELAYS (which have increased industrial applications these days).
*Along with a detailed analysis of switchgear and protection, this book also includes knowledge on power system stability and load flow analysis.
*Text in the book is supported by properly labeled diagram giving a deep insight into working of equipments.
*Also includes MCQs, FILL IN THE BLANKS, TRUE/FALSE type questions at the end of the book which may be helpful in various competitive exams.
BOTTOM-LINE: I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS TO FUTURE GATE ASPIRANTS TO GET A COMPLETE FEEL OF POWER SYSTEM PROTECTION NOT JUST SO THAT THEY CAN PREPARE FOR AN EXAM BUT ALSO BECAUSE THEY WILL APPRECIATE HOW MUCH EFFORT A POWER SYSTEM ENGINEER PUTS IN TO ENSURE THAT CONSUMERS GET SAFE and RELIABLE ELECTRICITY.