Preparing Construction Management for GATE Exam
How to Prepare Construction Management for GATE (Civil) Exam?
Construction management is one of the simple and scoring topics for GATE exam, even a one-time thorough study is enough for this subject. The weightage of this topic is around 2-4 marks over the last few years. It is a very basic and important subject in civil engineering.
In this blog, you will get an approach on how to prepare construction management for the GATE exam, standard books to study and also important topics of the subject, asked from this subject.
What are the Best standard books for CPM & PERT, GATE (CE)?
The standard book for Construction Management which you can refer to is ‘Project Planning Control with PERT & CPM by B.C.Punmia & K.K.Khandelwal’. It has been well written and covers many questions for practice as well.
What are the Important topics in CPM & PERT?
Now I will explain the relevant and irrelevant topics so that you can get an idea about what and what not to study and prioritize the topics according to your suitability.
- Charts: This chapter provides the introduction of project management and various charts like Bar chart, Gantt chart, etc. This chapter includes the history of the evolution of project management tools and the advantage & disadvantages of the charts above. This topic is mostly theoretical and not much asked in GATE but a one-time study required to get introductory information about this subject.
- PERT: PERT stands for Program Evaluation Review Technique. It is an important topic for the GATE point of view, easy to understand. This chapter provides the definition and applications of the PERT technique and direction to use it.
- CPM: CPM stands for Construction Planning and management. This is the most important topic of the subject as atleast 1-2 questions are asked every year in the GATE exam. This chapter provides the definition and applications of the CPM technique and direction to use it.
- Crashing of networks: This chapter is now asking in the past couple of years in the GATE exam. It is a lengthy and subjective topic, a lot of practice in this topic is required as chances of silly mistake are often in this. This chapter provides the concept of crashing of networks, some technical terms introduction, and application of crashing in the real-life problems.
- Cost Estimation: This chapter provides the definition, types, and methods of cost estimation. The questions of this topic are laborious and hence not much asked in the GATE exam. Basic knowledge of this topic is sufficient for the GATE point of view as some direct theoretical questions can be asked as it is part of the syllabus.
- Tender & Contracts: This chapter provides the definition, classifications, and types of tenders and contracts. This topic is easy and only theoretical. Questions from this topic are not much asked in GATE but it is important for interview preparation.
Apart from preparation keep in mind that you must test yourself by attempting the open-tests or taking online test series for GATE.