GATE 2016 Topper Interview – Arvind Chaudhary AIR 6 (EE)
GATE Exam specific questions
1. How was GATE paper this year? Give us some insights into GATE-2016 paper and compare it to past year question paper.
Ans. I found the gate paper quite basic this year. But due to virtual calculator paper became lengthy(set 6) as using it was time taking.1 mark questions were straightforward and were not time consuming. Some 2 mark questions were difficult and time consuming .Rest of the 2 mark questions were doable.I found aptitude section of this year paper difficult in comparison to 2015. Overall as compared to previous paper,this year paper was easy as 2015 paper had really some tricky questions.
2. How did you feel after seeing first few questions? Did you feel relaxed and calm or you were anxious during first few questions? If you felt anxious then how did you calm yourself?
Ans. I was a little nervous and anxious before the exam.I attempted aptitude section first. Since I found aptitude section difficult,i got nervous.But when I came to technical section,i was able to solve them. This instilled confidence in me and calmed my nerves.
3. How did you go about attempting the paper? How did you distribute time among various sections like did you attempt 1 mark questions or 2 marks questions first? Please give a detailed description of time management strategy you followed?
Ans. I did aptitude section first then 1 mark technical questions followed by 2 mark technical questions.I had a clear thought in my mind that I would attempt 1 mark questions first as these are easy and would help gaining confidence.I followed this strategy and was able to solve aptitude section and 1 mark technicals in about 1hour 20 minutes leaving me with enough time for solving lengthy 2 mark technical questions.
5. What do you feel about the increasing weightage of Numerical Answer Type Questions? How to improve accuracy in order to score well in Numerical Answer Type Questions?
Ans. This year paper consist of a lot of NAT questions.I think this year paper has a greater number than previous paper.In NAT questions you are not so sure about your answer so these questions have to be solved with care.These NAT questions are easy but time taking and more likely to produce an error than MCQs.Practice and patience are required for solving these questions effectively.
GATE Preparation Strategy
6. What was the motive behind you appearing for GATE exam?
Ans. I wanted to work in core electrical companies like power grid,BHEL,NTPC etc.These PSUs recruit through gate.So appearing in gate became a natural choice.
7. When did you start preparing for GATE exam?
Ans. I started preparing for gate exam in my final year.
8. Up to what date were you able to complete the course once? What was your target as to how many questions to practice in each subject? What was the sequence in which you prepared the subjects?
Ans. In the end of December month,I finished my syllabus once. Although I kept on revising subjects in between.I didn’t practice a huge no of questions.I just practised quality questions and questions from previous years papers which helped to build concepts.There was no sequence in my mind. I just
prepared the subjects in the order faculty taught me because my basics were good.However one should prepare basic subjects first like network,mathematics,signal and system.
9. Which study material and standard books would you recommend for GATE Aspirants in each subject?
Ans. Core electrical subjects like electrical machines,power system,power electronics require a lot of
practice as they are difficult and conceptual.These subjects should be read from standard books.
10. How did you keep the subjects fresh in your memory the entire time? Did you revise the subjects regularly or you left the revision for last few months? What was your strategy for revision in the last few months?
Ans. I was a student of made easy and the notes we prepared in class were more than sufficient. However when i felt difficulty in grasping any topic i referred standard books like
Electrical Machines-p.s. bhimbhra
power electronics- p.s. bhimbhra
power system- nagrath and kothari
analog – sedra and smith
11. What is the role of mock tests in your success in GATE exam? How many mock tests did you attempt? When did you start attempting mock tests?
Ans. While preparing I didn’t get enough time to practice all the subjects regularly. But I revised the
subjects quickly and briefly as the time permits. After December, I revised whole syllabus quickly. Then I took a no of mock tests which helped to remind all the concepts.
12. How was your score in Mock Tests? Is there any correlation between mock test performance and actual GATE performance?
Ans. Mock tests are very crucial for any exam.Mock tests help you analyse your weak points,calculation mistakes. I took 12-13 full syllabus mock tests in the last phase of my preparation.I started taking mock tests in december-january month.
15. What is the role of undergraduate studies or college studies in your GATE prep?
Ans. Role of UG studies is very important as I got enough time to strengthen my concepts and
fundamentals.One should take one’s UG study seriously.
16. How did you motivate yourself for such a long journey towards GATE?
Ans. I dreamt of being a good ranker in GATE. Moreover PSUs provide you the opportunity to have a good dynamic career. This motivated me to strive for a good rank in GATE.
17. Did you expect such a result after giving the GATE exam?
Ans. I knew that I did well in gate exam.I was hoping to get a rank in top 50.
18. How did you feel the moment you saw the results?
Ans. I felt out of the world,blissful when I saw AIR 6 on my GATE SCORE CARD.
19. What is the role of family and friends in your success in GATE exam?
Ans. My family always supported me in every aspect.They are the real force behind me that took me to this rank. My friends are very supportive.They guided me to the field in which my strength lies.
20. What is the role of family and friends in your success in GATE exam?
Ans. I would dedicate my result to God,my family, friends and offcourse my teachers.
21. What is the success mantra that you would like to give to other GATE aspirants which has been critical for your preparation as well?
Ans. Success mantra is simple-Stay away from disractions, stay focussed, keep cool and study hard.