GATE 2017 Topper Interview – Sonu Sharma AIR 4 (ECE)
Exam specific questions
- How was GATE paper this year? Give us some insights into GATE 2017 paper and compare it to past year question paper?
This year paper (set 2) was not lengthy but tricky. 1 mark question were straight forward and 2 marks question were tricky. As compared to previous year aptitude section demanded more time. Most of the questions in paper were familiar. Overall paper was moderate and easier than GATE 2016.
2. How did you feel after seeing first few questions? Did you feel relaxed and calm or you were anxious during first few questions? If you felt anxious then how did you calm yourself?
I started with aptitude section and could not able to solve more than 6 marks in 15-20 minutes. Feeling wasn’t good at that time then I moved to 1 marks and questions were easy and I covered time there. When I felt anxious I used to tell my heart that cool mind can fetch you rank but the panicked one will drag you below your level so let it
go even if easier question is seeming tough.
3. How did you go about attempting the paper? How did you distribute time among various sections like did you attempt 1 mark questions or 2 marks questions first? Please give a detailed description of time management strategy you followed?
First 15-20 minutes for aptitude then 1 marks for 30-35 minutes rest for 2 marks which can be solved easily. Strategy was like not to solve all in one round for example I gave 20 minutes for aptitude in first round then after one round I went to aptitude section again for another 10 minutes and tried those which were not solved or were likely to be solved. Likewise same strategy for 1 marks and 2 marks. I used to do revision on the spot after solving the question therefore I did not spare time for revision at the end.
4. What was the impact of Online Calculator on GATE Exam? How did you prepare yourself to tackle the Online Calculator?
I hardly used online calculator, calculations were simple like one step calculation after the simplification.
5. What do you feel about the increasing weightage of Numerical Answer Type Questions? How to improve accuracy in order to score well in Numerical Answer Type Questions?
I prepared myself specially for numerical types. I made my strategies for numerical types, worked out and implemented them many times in TEST SERIES. Everyone has its own strategy mine was to solve first then check calculations, next is to read questions again what is asked and in which unit it is asked then finally answer.
6. What was the motive behind you appearing for GATE exam?
Only PSU, I appeared this time because I was completely fed up with private jobs and the environment there.
7. When did you start preparing for GATE 2017 exam?
I resigned from my job on 16th January 2016 and started preparation from February 2016, just after the GATE 2016.
8. Up to what date were you able to complete the course once? What was your target as to how many questions to practice in each subject? What was the sequence in which you prepared the subjects?
I was preparing even when I had the job so almost halfway was covered. Then I started in February with analog circuit and communications and it took me 2 month to finish them completely. Then again network, signal, control, EMT, EDC and Digital. At the end I went for mathematics and took it lightly that was my mistake. I finished my
syllabus in October and target was big in terms of practice. I decided to practice previous year GATE questions, KONCEPT and unsolved from std books. But unfortunately I could not do all.
9. Which subjects according to require more practice and which subjects need to be read from standard textbooks?
Electronic Devices, Analog Circuit, Communication and Signal System need to be studied thoroughly from std books. Communication is nothing but signals one has deep understanding in Signal can handle communication comfortably. Communication, Analog Circuit and Electronic Devices are the rank decider subjects.
10. Which study material and standard books would you recommend for GATE Aspirants in each subject?
I followed many books even for 1 subject but only one std book will do the same. The
list is as follows
Network – Sadiku or Hayt & Kammerley
Signal – Oppenheim
Control – Ogata or Norman Nise
EMT – M. N. O. Sadiku
Digital electronics – Morris Mano
Microprocessor – K Udaya Kumar & B. S. Uma Shakar
Electronic Devices – Neamen (easy to understand) or Streetman
Analog circuit – Razavi and sedra & smith
Communication – Proakis & salehi and Carlson
Mathematics – BS Grewal
11. How did you keep the subjects fresh in your memory the entire time? Did you revise the subjects regularly or you left the revision for last few months? What was your strategy for revision in the last few months?
Revision is the important key to the success. I had whole 24 hrs as I resigned so I used to revise daily for 3 hrs in the morning.
12. What is the role of mock tests in your success in GATE exam? How many mock tests did you attempt? When did you start attempting mock tests?
The most important role played by mock tests. I started full length test in December and subject wise in October. Beginning was slow and used to appear weekly. Whole January was booked for full length mock tests on daily basis. Morning was for revision, afternoon for mock test and night was booked for mathematics. I had given almost 30 mock tests.
13. How was your score in Mock Tests? Is there any correlation between mock test performance and actual GATE performance?
My score was around 70 sometimes 80+ also.
14. Did you purchase/use any of the Kreatryx Products? If yes, how was it beneficial to you?
I bought KONCEPT and K-TEST. K-TEST help me a lot to improve accuracy thanks to KREATRYX TEAM for that. KONCEPT is good for concept building and solved examples are best to learn methodical approach. It consists of question bank with variety of questions basic, conceptual and challenging type. I had a nice experience with KREATRYX products.
15. Did you expect such a result after giving the GATE exam?
Before the GATE I was sure of under 500 and working hard for TOP 10. After the GATE exam, I calculated my marks and score was such that I could easily fetch under 100.
16. How did you feel the moment you saw the results?
It was amazing that cannot be described in words.
17. What is the role of family and friends in your success in GATE exam?
Oh! I am fortunate to have beautiful family and friend circle. I did not tell anyone my result but my friends started posting on my Facebook timeline, making calls to me and they were so happy. In fact when I was checking my result one of my friend was there with me and my happiness was reflecting through his eyes. Thank you again MUMMY & PAPA and thanks to all my FRIENDS, you all kept motivating me and thanks for having faith in me.
18. Who would you dedicate this GATE result to?
I would like to dedicate my result to my mother (mommy). Her struggle for my family always motivated me.
19. What is the success mantra that you would like to give to other GATE aspirants which has been critical for your preparation as well?
As I told, REVISION is the key to success and PRACTICE makes a man perfect therefore after learning the concepts mantra is REVISION & PRACTICE.