GATE 2017 Topper Interview – Kevin Akbari AIR 11 (EE)
GATE Exam specific questions
- How was GATE paper this year? Give us some insights into GATE-2017 paper and compare it to past year question paper.
Ans- As per me, GATE 2017 EE (set 2) paper was easy compared to 2016 paper (both sets). Questions from this year paper were very much related to the questions that you have either seen form previous year GATE papers or the coaching class question banks.
As per my analysis, 85 percent questions were familiar which can be solved by just reading it (without applying much of brain).
- How did you feel after seeing first few questions? Did you feel relaxed and calm or you were anxious during first few questions? If you felt anxious then how did you calm yourself?
Ans- My plan was to first finish the 2 marks questions then move on to the 1 marks. Obviously after seeing first few questions (which were toughest in that section) I lost my confidence a bit. Luckily for me I didn’t chose to fight those questions at that time and skipped them and reserved them for last minutes which turned out to be the great and successful plan.
- How did you go about attempting the paper? How did you distribute time among various sections like did you attempt 1 mark questions or 2 marks questions first? Please give a detailed description of time management strategy you followed?
Ans- To be frank I am the kind of person who get cracked under pressure. So to fight that I had literally penned down my time management plan and decided to follow that strictly no matter how tough the paper may be before 2 months of exam.
As the clock hit 180 min and start decreasing:
- Go to question no. 26 in the technical section (2 marks questions begins) and give 80 minutes to all the 2 marks technical questions till clock reaches 100 min.
- Jump on to the question no. 1 in technical section and start solving them for 30 minutes till the clock reaches 70 min.
- Jump on to the non-technical section and try to solve all 10 questions in 15 minutes till the clock reaches 55 min.
- Now comes the time to fight the real battle. This is the time to recheck all the 2 marks questions (which I have attempted) of technical section (for 30 minutes) and fight the questions which you think can be solved but hasn’t solved it yet (25 minutes for that).
Above is the strategy that I have followed for mock test papers (from coaching institutes) and in the final GATE 2017 paper and the outcome turned out to be almost perfect.
- What was the impact of Online Calculator on GATE Exam? How did you prepare yourself to tackle the Online Calculator?
Online calculator plays the key role. When I started my preparation from beginning I had the app of virtual calculator installed on my android phone and used it to solve each and every problem. Before 1 month of GATE exam I even started using laptop and mouse to become more familiar.
But the crazy part was that in actual GATE exam I got the system in which mouse was clicking 2 times or sometimes none (it was a bit faulty). Besides the letter like pi and division sign was not visible clearly on the GATE exam system computer. Anyways that depends on your luck. So I used scribble pad to solve most of the small calculations.
- What do you feel about the increasing weightage of Numerical Answer Type Questions? How to improve accuracy in order to score well in Numerical Answer Type Questions?
As per me questions are not that much tough but that 180 minutes are too much stressed. One has to take each data correctly from the questions and the start solving. To tackle calculator trouble one has to see the calculator screen properly as what he/she is multiplying or adding. NAT problems are the difference creators, they can boost your rank drastically.
GATE Preparation strategy
- What was the motive behind you appearing for GATE exam?
Just like every other guy I wanted to land a job in PSU, that was the sole aim.
- When did you start preparing for GATE exam?
I started in June 2016.
- Up to what date were you able to complete the course once? What was your target as to how many questions to practice in each subject? What was the sequence in which you prepared the subjects?
I competed my syllabus once by the end of October 2016. My target was to solve as many problems as possible so that I can have the idea about different types and models of questions. I first started with all the networks subjects and then switched on to machines and power system and then maths.
- Which subjects according to require more practice and which subjects need to be read from standard textbooks?
For network subjects, one can get the basic ideas about subject by checking the previous papers. The more stress should be given to machines, power system and power electronics. No doubt they are the game changing subjects which needs to be stressed.
- Which study material and standard books would you recommend for GATE Aspirants in each subject?
Machines- P.s. bimbra
Power systems – nagrath and Kothari
Power electronics – P.s. bimbra
All the network subjects (analog, digital, signal, network analysis, control system etc.)– coaching class material is more than enough.
- How did you keep the subjects fresh in your memory the entire time? Did you revise the subjects regularly or you left the revision for last few months? What was your strategy for revision in the last few months?
From june 2016 to October 2016 I completed my course once. Then I started preparing personal short notes (which is must task). Afterward i was left with 2 full months to revise all the formulas which I have included in my short notes and mugged them up.
Remembering formulas is very important as it saves lots of time to solve the questions.
- What is the role of mock tests in your success in GATE exam? How many mock tests did you attempt? When did you start attempting mock tests?
Mock test plays the vital role. I have bought the mock test plans from two coaching institutes and completed them fully. After preparing short note my sole target was to revise the notes and give the mock test. I have repeated above task for 2 complete months (December and January).
- How was your score in Mock Tests? Is there any correlation between mock test performance and actual GATE performance?
Mostly my score in mock test used to be between 65 to 75 depending upon the toughness of the paper and the state of mind. I suggest everyone to give all the test with fresh mind and proper energy. Try to create the environment of the actual exam this will help a lot. Mock tests are generally tougher than the actual paper mostly because of the non-technical portion.
- Did you purchase/use any of the Kreatryx Products? If yes, how was it beneficial to you?
I used Kreatryx Koncept plan. If one want to save time for preparation, he/she should use it to prepare the network subjects, trust me it is more than enough. I must say their power system question book is vast and covers all the models which has or may occur in the GATE exam. So overall a huge thumbs up to the Kreatryx Koncept plan.
- What is the role of undergraduate studies or college studies in your GATE prep?
I have passed the NIT with average marks and ended up with good GATE rank, so as per me I don’t thinks that it affect it at all if one has basic understanding and good common sense
- How did you motivate yourself for such a long journey towards GATE?
To be frank, empty pocket and life after PSU were the motivations for me to keep going no matter what.
- Did you expect such a result after giving the GATE exam?
After counting my marks based on Kreatryx key, I was pretty much sure that I would land under AIR 50. So yeah you can say that.
- How did you feel the moment you saw the results?
The moment was just magical. Its one of the time that you never forget.
- What is the role of family and friends in your success in GATE exam?
Family’s role is very big. The opportunity to give up everything and invest a full year for this exam is given by none other but your family.
- Who would you dedicate this GATE result to?
I dedicate my success to my family and my friends who were with me during tough time.
- What is the success mantra that you would like to give to other GATE aspirants which has been critical for your preparation as well?
Learn basics, try to find good source of question bank and solve it properly, solve all the previous paper of electrical branch, solve all the previous gate questions for the common subjects (network subjects) from ECE and IN branch.