GATE 2017 Topper Interview – Prakhar Kumar Pandey AIR 12 (EE)
Exam specific questions
- How was GATE paper this year? Give us some insights into GATE-2017 paper and compare it to past year question paper.
The level of paper was moderate this year. Question asked were lengthy and tricky.
- How did you feel after seeing first few questions? Did you feel relaxed and calm or you were anxious during first few questions? If you felt anxious then how did you calm yourself?
I started solving the paper with 1 (one) mark questions. I faced some difficulties in solving first few questions because of nervousness before the exam. But as I solved some questions, I gained my confidence and momentum.
- How did you go about attempting the paper? How did you distribute time among various sections like did you attempt 1 mark questions or 2 marks questions first? Please give a detailed description of time management strategy you followed?
I started attempting one marks questions first then moved to general aptitude section to take a break between two technical sections. I managed my time to complete both one marks and general aptitude section in one hour and fifteen minutes. Then I started solving two marks questions. I had decided to devote half an hour for revision but some questions were time taking so I could not manage my time for revision.
- What was the impact of Online Calculator on GATE Exam? How did you prepare yourself to tackle the Online Calculator?
I practiced a lot on online calculator while solving mock tests therefore I did not face any problem while operating it during exam.
- What do you feel about the increasing weightage of Numerical Answer Type Questions? How to improve accuracy in order to score well in Numerical Answer Type Questions?
As the weightage of NAT question in GATE has been increasing year by year therefore accuracy plays a major role while solving these problems. To improve accuracy one has to solve plenty number of questions of NAT and also give each and every mock test very seriously and attentively.
- What was the motive behind you appearing for GATE exam?
I want to work in leading PSUs of this country so I decided to appear in GATE 2017.
- When did you start preparing for GATE exam?
I started preparing for GATE in June 2016 after 6th semester of my college studies.
- Up to what date were you able to complete the course once? What was your target as to how many questions to practice in each subject? What was the sequence in which you prepared the subjects?
I completed whole syllabus once by mid-November. I did not have a target of number of questions to practice. I solved Kanodia once for all subjects then devoted my whole time to practice questions through tests. Practicing through online tests, one can learn time management and also improve accuracy.
I firstly started with mathematics and network theory as these two are the basics for other subjects. Then I started to pick randomly two subjects at a time one difficult and one easy subject. I can give an idea of the sequence of subjects that I followed –
July – Aug – Machine and Signal & System
Aug – Sept – Power Electronics and Control System
Sept – Oct – Power System and Analog electronics.
Oct – Nov – Digital electronics, Microprocessor, Measurement.
- Which subjects according to require more practice and which subjects need to be read from standard textbooks?
Subjects like electric machine, power system and power electronic require more practice. Also these subjects require more amount of time than any other subjects to get mastery. Therefore these subjects need to be read from standard text books to clear the basic concepts of subject.
- Which study material and standard books would you recommend for GATE Aspirants in each subject?
Standard books for GATE EE –
Electric Machine – PS Bimbhra
Power Electronics – PS Bimbhra
Power System – W.D. Steveson, CL wadhva
Network Theory – Hayt & Kimmerly.
Control System – M.Gopal, B.S. Manke
Signal & System – A.V. Openheim
Analog Electronics – Sedra Smith
Digital Electronics – Morris mano
Measurments – AK Sawhney
Mathematics – Kreyszig
For practicing questions, a good question bank like Kanodia or Kreatryx can be followed.
- How did you keep the subjects fresh in your memory the entire time? Did you revise the subjects regularly or you left the revision for last few months? What was your strategy for revision in the last few months?
I completed syllabus once in November then I started revision through short notes and subject tests.
- What is the role of mock tests in your success in GATE exam? How many mock tests did you attempt? When did you start attempting mock tests?
Mock tests play a vital role in preparation of GATE. You can learn the strategy to follow while attempting the real exam. I attempted 30 to 40 mock tests. I started attempting mock test from mid-December.
- How was your score in Mock Tests? Is there any correlation between mock test performance and actual GATE performance?
In first few mock tests, I did not get good mark and rank but I did not lose hope and after giving every mock test, I analyzed for my mistakes and removed them and always tried not repeat then, mistakes again. In this way I kept on improving and in last ten mock tests, I was ranked under 50.
Yes, there is correlation between mock test performance and actual GATE performance that is why every mock tests should be attempted very seriously in GATE like condition.
- Did you purchase/use any of the Kreatryx Products? If yes, how was it beneficial to you?
Yes, I purchased Karsh and K-test of Kreatryx. Using Kreatryx. Using Krash, I was able to revise the syllabus in short span of time and saved my time for practicing questions.
- What is the role of undergraduate studies or college studies in your GATE prep?
I referred standard text books while semester exams which helped me to build the basics of that subject.
- How did you motivate yourself for such a long journey towards GATE?
I used to motivate myself by watching motivational videos and by reading the success story of GATE toppers.
- Did you expect such a result after giving the GATE exam?
No, I didn’t expect such a good result.
- How did you feel the moment you saw the results?
I was very happy and relieved after seeing the GATE result.
- What is the role of family and friends in your success in GATE exam?
The role of my family members and friends was very crucial. They always believed in my potential and constantly motivated me.
- Who would you dedicate this GATE result to?
I would like to dedicate this GATE result to God and to my parents.
- What is the success mantra that you would like to give to other GATE aspirants which has been critical for your preparation as well?
I would like to say other aspirants that believe in yourself, focus on your goal and don’t lose your hope till last moment of exam.